Sunday 11 August 2013

Power Of Love,Loyalty And Commitment





Below is the copy of a letter written by Major Sullivan Ballou of the Union army to his wife Sarah on July 14, 1861 one week before the battle of Bull Run. They had been married only six years.


I am posting this to illustrate the power of commitment and loyalty in a man’s life. How unshakeable a life can be if built on love and noble principles. It shows the might of character and faithfulness. And I hope it will encourage or touch you somehow. Do not hesitate to give us your feedback and also share this with friends if you liked it…Enjoy:

My dear Sarah,

The indications are strong that we shall move in a few days-maybe tomorrow. Lest I should be unable to write again, I feel impelled to write a few lines that may fall under your eye when I shall be no more…

I have no misgivings about or lack of confidence in the course in which I am engaged, and my courage does not halt or falter knowing how strongly American civilization now leans on the triumph of government, and how great a debt we owe to those who went before us through the blood and suffering of the revolution..And I am willing, perfectly willing to lay down all my joys in this life to help maintain this government and to pay that debt...


Sarah, my love for you is deathless; it seems to bind me with a mighty cables that nothing but omnipotence could break, and yet my love of country comes over me like a strong wind, and bears me irresistibly on, with all these chains, to the battlefields.

The memories of all blissful moments I have spent with you come creeping over me, and I feel most deeply grateful to God, and you, that I have enjoyed them so long.

 And how hard it is for me to give them up, and burn to ashes the hopes of future years, when, God willing, we might still have lived and loved together and seen our sons grown up to honorable manhood around us.


If I do not return, my dear Sarah, never forget how much I love you, and when my last breath escapes me on the battlefield, it will whisper your name. Forgive my many faults, and the many pains I have caused you. How thoughtless, how foolish I have often-times been…



O Sarah, if the dead can come back to this earth and flit unseen around those they loved, I shall always be near you in the gladdest day and the darkest night, amidst your happiest scenes and gloomiest hours—always, always; and if there be a soft breeze upon your cheek, it shall be my breath: or the cool air cools your throbbing temple, it shall be my spirit passing by.


Sarah, do not mourn me dead: think I am gone, and wait for me, for we shall meet again.


Sullivan.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And guess what happened after this letter----At the very first battle of Bull Run, Major Sullivan was killed.

‘’Love always protects,always trusts,always hopes,always perseveres’’—1 Cor 13:7

NB: If you liked our articles, then use the comment box below to let us know. You can also use



it to make your own contributions/comments or criticisms. Do not forget to SHARE this to your friends by using the bookmarking buttons below.

No comments:

Post a Comment